Monday, March 5, 2012

True Love

Solomon 8:6 Set me as a seal upon thine heart, as a seal upon thine arm: for love is strong as death; jealousy is cruel as the grave: the coals thereof are coals of fire, which hath a most vehement flame.
Today I felt so free and so good. Have you ever woke up and a feeling takes you over. You have no idea why you feel like this, but you just feel so good you don’t even question that feeling. I felt the need to listen to love songs. So I put on Sade being the ultimate love song songstress.
As I listened to her songs I felt so many different reflections on love. I heard compassion, sadness, joy, love, and peace, and broken heartedness in her songs. Then I thought what do we really know about true love. When there are so many ways to describe it. What does it mean to truly love? Do we as human have that kind of capacity to truly love and let ourselves be loved?
Can we just let go and fall. Katharine Hepburn said that few people know what they mean when they say “I love you”…. Well, what does the word mean? It means total interest. I think the reason very few people really fall in love with anyone is they’re not willing to pay the price. The price is you have to adjust yourself to them.
The dictionary says that love is: a feeling of intense desire and attraction toward a person. Sometimes we meet someone and your heart races like a horse on the track, your legs feel like they are going to give out beneath you. Is that truly love? The lust of our eyes can be a very tricky thing.
The bible speaks of love in a lot of texts. It tells a husband/wife on how to treat each other, how to love each other. In the beginning God said it was not good for man to be alone, so He created Eve. When Adam saw this beautiful creature that came from him he said: “this is bone of my bones, and flesh of my flesh”.Genesis 2:23
If you are in a relationship where there is mistrust and constantly you are questioning the person, I would seriously sit back and think on what is wrong with the relationship. 1 John 4:18 there is no fear in love; but perfect love casteth out fear, because fear hath torment. He that feared is not made perfect in love.
The Art of Loving God by Julie Ackerman Link tells us that we grow up believing the romanticize definition. That being in love means always feeling passion. By focusing on emotion and neglecting the behavior, we make ourselves vulnerable.
Love is not about control. I have learned that you cannot mold a person to what you want. It will never work in your favor; a human being has to want change to receive change. We have to learn how to except all of that person; the good, bad and ugly. Love is a compromise, there is no keeping score. This was the example that Jesus set for us when He died for you and me.
Katharine Hepburn also said that love has nothing to do with what you are expecting to get, only what you are expecting to give. This is everything. What you will receive in return varies. But it really has no connection with what you give. You give because you love and cannot help giving.
So I leave you with two of my favorite love songs by Sade. Enjoy, put them on and dance with someone you love :)


No comments:

Post a Comment