Tuesday, June 12, 2012

New Day


Luke 16:19-31
“There was a rich man
* who dressed in purple garments and fine linen and dined sumptuously each day.20And lying at his door was a poor man named Lazarus, covered with sores,21who would gladly have eaten his fill of the scraps that fell from the rich man’s table. Dogs even used to come and lick his sores.22When the poor man died, he was carried away by angels to the bosom of Abraham. The rich man also died and was buried, 23 and from the netherworld,where he was in torment, he raised his eyes and saw Abraham far off and Lazarus at his side.24And he cried out, ‘Father Abraham, have pity on me. Send Lazarus to dip the tip of his finger in water and cool my tongue, for I am suffering torment in these flames.’25Abraham replied, ‘My child, remember that you received what was good during your lifetime while Lazarus likewise received what was bad; but now he is comforted here, whereas you are tormented.26Moreover, between us and you a great chasm is established to prevent anyone from crossing who might wish to go from our side to yours or from your side to ours.’27He said, ‘Then I beg you, father, send him to my father’s house, 28 for I have five brothers, so that he may warn them, lest they too come to this place of torment.’29But Abraham replied, ‘They have Moses and the prophets. Let them listen to them.’30 He said, ‘Oh no, father Abraham, but if someone from the dead goes to them, they will repent.’31Then Abraham said, ‘If they will not listen to Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded if someone should rise from the dead.

Jesus came so we can have everlasting life. He came to let us know of the kingdom of heaven, to bring us back in union with God the Father from sin, shame, and suffering.  

Just as Lazarus longed for food, so also Jesus long to feed and quench our thirst with Spiritual food.

John 4:14
But whosoever drinketh of the water that I shall give him shall never thirst; but the water that I shall give him shall be in him a well of water springing up into everlasting life.

Just as the rich man, if you and I do not make the correct choices on this earth to live a righteous and purposeful life there will be consequences for our actions. I am trying everyday to make the right choices in my life. I cannot do this on my own I need Jesus Christ for that. What do you choose for yourself tomorrow maybe too late? The rich man would do anything to go back and change his ways and warn his brothers. Sometimes the next day is too late.

Lord you are our Savoir, our provider. Only you can bring us to that place where we will never thirst again. Lead us to the everlasting spring of life. Help us to not be selfish and self-serving. Help us to think of others and to serve in the same way you serve. Let thy will be done in our lives as you will it, in the name of Jesus Christ.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment